Monday, August 20, 2007

PyLinkedIn

Hi all,

Tennessee here. I'd just like to comment on the PyLinkedIn effort. It's really nice to see so many people connecting to one another. I see it as a way to improve the connectedness of the community. I have accepted many invitations which people have made on my LinkedIn account but I have declined others. I personally prefer to connect to people I know or have some connection with. Others may have a different philosophy which is fair enough also.

I would recommend that people use their networks socially, not just as a means for increasing connections. While being well-connected in the network is great, it is far more effective to be socially connected. In order to strengthen the social bonds as well as the purely technical connections in the community, a measure of participation will be required.

So, to those who I have connected with, thanks for the invitations. To those whom I have not accepted, I look forward to getting to know you at some stage and I will be happy to connect up later!

All the best,
-Tennessee Leeuwenburg (Editor-In-Chief, The Python Papers)

3 comments:

Jesse said...

If the python community is in fact, a community, is a connection on a social network based on that community (ergo, connection) justifiable? Note that I am not disagreeing with you - it would be much better (at least from a LinkedIn system) to be able to sign up as a member of a specific group rather than a direct connection.

Doug said...

The "group" feature does seem better suited for the loose community building we're going for in this case.

VanL said...

An easier way to do it might be to put "Python Community" under "Groups and Associations" in the "Other" part of your profile. The newest release of LinkedIn allows people to invite each other based upon common groups.